1. Your reputation with Safety Kitten is not high enough to begin litter training.

Woah...

Discussion in 'Public Chat' started by SkyeStorm, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Awn

Awn Moderator

I just replaced my almost 5 year old PC this year (it was still working too), if you have the patience putting one together yourself is still the best bet. New NVIDA 1060 card is coming out soon which looks like it will be a nice sweet spot for price/performance. Happy to help if you need any suggestions at any price range.

2. SkyeStorm

SkyeStorm Nooblet

Heh, I used to want having the latest and greatest technology available to me...and most of the time, I did upgrade. For me, that mind set has changed dramatically since the birth of my daughter lol. I still use my ol' PC (built back in 2009ish I think)! It still uses the i7 975 processor - Quad Core socket set 1366. I OC'ed it to 4.2Ghz, but it has done a excellent job with no issues (knock on wood) since. The only hardware upgrade is the graphics card (from nVidia GeForce GTX 285 to the GTX 1080 - on sale for $599.00 on amazon). I'm also here to help answer any questions related to upgrading if anyone wants to ask!! WTB OEM WoW on iPad, hah!!!

On WoW related news, since I purchased Legion and DH's will start at lvl 98, I went ahead and upgraded my Shaman to 100! I'll probably get the Druid to 100 too, but when I'm online, I haven't seen anyone online for a ginvite... I guess since WoD is past its prime, and everyone is waiting on Legion, no one really plays too much anymore? Thus far, FPS is pretty much, with eye candy settings, 110-120 so the card is doing very well with two monitors!

3. Delmore

Delmore Know-it-all

I dont imagine it was just the birth of your daughter that caused it, although I cant directly speak for you. The market for PC components has not moved a great deal in the last few years. PC's that were built 5 years ago function just fine for basic tasks today and WIndows 10 seems to have gotten lighter, not heavier. Some games make use of cutting edge stuff but most can run on that same hardware.

Need a real shake up in the market for it to be needed, VR maybe?

4. Awn

Awn Moderator

The only real driver of PC upgrades at this point are how badly you want to run certain games at max settings. Also if you are trying to drive a higher resolution monitor (e.g. 4K) at 60 fps you will find that hardware still isn't there (again for max-settings in certain games). That said, an older rig can run pretty much anything if you are willing to turn the dials and play at 1080. Remember most every game is designed to run on PS4/Xbone so ya :)

I definitely upgrade slower than I did in the past. That said seeing Witcher 3 at near max settings on my ultrawide monitor makes me happy with my most recent purchase!

5. HealingDonky

HealingDonky Moderator

Yeah the 1060 is looking like it will be the best bang for your buck card this generation, just make sure you are not throttling your performance of the card with low system RAM. I have 8 gigs in my machine now and I am looking to drop at least 16 more into it, with Legion I've noticed the WoW is becoming a bigger resource hog.

6. Awn

Awn Moderator

How do you live with that?! I'm up to 32 :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. HealingDonky

HealingDonky Moderator

I was on a budget when I built mine with the thought of down the road I will add in more, well I am down the road now. @Boops just doesn't know we are there yet :p

8. Delmore

Delmore Know-it-all

I have 16GB and now I feel like a 2nd class citizen.

9. Awn

Awn Moderator

I think 16 is the right answer still for most; I tend to overkill when I do a new build and RAM is (relatively) one of the lower cost upgrades.

10. SkyeStorm

SkyeStorm Nooblet

Geez, 32GB of DDR4 RAM? lol
    24/7 bitcoin processing?! :)

11. Awn

Awn Moderator

It's nice if you want to have 5,300 tabs open in Chrome ... ask Chaws :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oda

Oda Blabbermouth

alright... send me mouse and/or keyboard gaming options!

I need want to replace those things before the expansion... tired of tossing myself off of ledges! lol

13. Awn

Awn Moderator

14. SkyeStorm

SkyeStorm Nooblet

Mouse wise - I RMA'ed Razer after a little over a month of use! lol Scroll stopped working... every time I logged out of the game, my camera distance went back to default until I installed the addon - Camera Max Factor.

I'm currently using Mad Catz RAT9 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PHSDBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and can say I like it a lot except for the battery replacement (can only be used wireless). I liked Razer Ouroboros b/c I could use it wired or wireless, but the grip and adjustments that can be customized on the Mad Catz is quite nice.

Keyboard wise - I was thinking about Mad Catz Keyboard - https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-Cus...7_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8EWCAY15R9NMYK4VDEV0 but too pricey...

I ended up getting SADES - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E8RSKJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have had no issues.